General Data Protection Regulations – Privacy Notice
The General Data Protection Regulations provide greater protection for an individual’s personal data and lay down new practices for organisations that handle personal data. The Weavers’ Company holds personal data of members and will have to comply with the new regulations.
This Privacy Notice explains how the Weavers Company will handle your data. The Bailiffs, Wardens and Assistants of the Company are legally responsible for the control of your personal data. The Clerk, through the Court, is the primary contact for all data protection matters.
The new regulations set out a number of principles that the Weavers’ Company must observe when processing your data:
- Fairness. The Weavers’ Company will only use the data that we hold on you in a way that you would expect in running a membership organisation.
- Transparency. The Company must be transparent in what data it processes. For members we hold the following data:
o Information provided by you on your initial application form, including address, email address and family details.
o Bank account details if provided for making payments.
o Any Special Dietary requirements (if appropriate).
- Lawfulness. The data the Weavers’ Company holds must be for lawful purposes. Your data held by the Weavers’ Company is necessary to carry out the running of the Company and to comply with our legal obligations. A consent form allowing the Company to process your data is attached.
- Purpose limitation. The Weavers’ Company will only process your data for legitimate purposes in accordance with the transparency statement above.
- Minimising Data. The Weavers’ Company will only hold the data that is strictly necessary to carry out its work.
- Accuracy. Every effort will be made to ensure that the data held is accurate.
- Storage of Data. The Company will not keep your data for longer than is necessary.
- Security. The Weavers’ Company will adopt suitable security measures to ensure that your data, both paper and electronic, is secure.
- Accountability. The Weavers’ Company has a Data Protection Policy that is held in the Company’s offices and is available for inspection.
- Sensitive Data. Under the new Regulations sensitive data needs special handling. The only sensitive data held by the Company for members is if they have any special dietary requirements. The Company will only use this data for the purpose in which it was given and will ensure that catering companies have appropriate security measures to protect this data. Special dietary requirements given for guests will only be used for the specific function that it was given for and will then be destroyed.
You have the right to inspect the data that is held by the Weavers’ Company and a form can be obtained from the Company’s offices for this purpose. On request this data will be provided to you within one month. You have the right to rectify any incorrect personal data. You will be notified if there has been a major data security breach which could affect your rights and freedoms as an individual.
This is an important and complex issue and if you have any queries please either write, email or telephone the Clerk.
The Worshipful Company of Weavers
Tel: 020 7606 1155
Fax: 020 7606 1119